Alpha Hydroxy Acids, or AHAs are naturally occurring acids most often found in sugar cane, fruits and milk. They are weak acids that help remove dead skin cells and increase skins’ thickness, which smooth wrinkles.
Commonly known AHAs are lactic acid, glycolic acid, malic acid and citric acid.
As we age, dead skin cells build up on the outer layer of skin, which makes the skin look dull and rough. Alpha hydroxy acids penetrate through the dead skin cells and weakens the parts of the cells that anchor them together.
This makes it easier for the dead cells to slough off the surface of the skin. Proper exfoliation is critical to healthy looking skin, and alpha hydroxy acids provide a quick and easy way to gently exfoliate dead skin cells.
By removing the layer of dead skin cells, AHAs:
- help to remove the old, often unevenly toned layer and uncover a fresh, new layer of skin free from the discoloration or age spots
- improves the signs of acne
- reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- accelerates the natural process of skin’s beauty renewal and turnover
- give the skin a healthy, lively glow by helping water bind to the skin and increasing hydration
- visibly reveal a fresh layer of skin that is more receptive to skin-nourishing ingredients and is able to absorb these ingredients faster and easier
Natural AHAs can also help to increase the thickness of interior skin layers, which boosts the firm supportive structure of outer skin cells. This leads to firmer (which is more naturally youthful looking) complexion.